Friday, June 7, 2013

How to Eat and Drink for the Planet.

GlassDharma welcomes Lee van Delft, owner/founder of GACfilters who shares her views on PlanetCare living choices in this guest blog post she agreed to author for "Sip The World".

There are so many ways in which we can make small changes to help the planet and many of these changes can start right here at home. For instance, I like to start one meal at a time. Did you know that one of the most effective ways to tackle your carbon footprint is to eat a meat free diet? As someone who ate meat for many years I can admit that I did not always associate my eating habits with the welfare of the environment. However, over recent years I have incorporated a vegetarian diet, and this past January finally committed to a vegan lifestyle. Now not only am I living a life that is more compassionate towards all living things but I am also lessening my burden on the earth. Being a vegan has not only changed what I eat, but where I get my food. And let me tell you, spring time is the best time to have fun with your menu. All the local markets are opening up with an abundance of the freshest produce which makes this the perfect time to experiment with seasonal fruits and veggies.

Here’s a little of my lunch prep with freshly picked local produce.

Not to mention buying from local markets will not only help boost the economy but help to reduce your packaging intake, as much of the produce is freshly picked with little to no packing. Don’t forget to BYOB (bring your own bag).

Now this next tip is a given, and we all know how devastating single use plastic is to our planet. So when it comes to meal time with your families, ditch the plastic straws and single serve beverage bottles. Instead opt for a glass straw from GlassDharma and a GAC filter to make your tap water taste great. In fact, one of my favorite thirst quenchers is a baby spinach smoothie with orange juice.

Voila! An earth friendly lunch to share with loved ones.

Lastly, don’t forget to have fun with it. Have a local market party by inviting all of your friends to a meatless potluck. Challenge all of your guests to make a dish with only locally sourced produce and get adventurous with your recipes. Or maybe just have fun throwing a bunch of colorful goodies on the BBQ. However you do it, you and your friends will be sure to have a blast tasting new foods and enjoying each others company.

So the next time you go shopping, don’t forget to be kind, be healthy, and be green.

Cheers!



To make my smoothie outstanding I use 
freshly picked local spinach and a GlassDharma straw!




1 comment:

  1. Thanks Lee!I have never tried spinach and orange juice! And I do like my GAC filters!
    Gail Johnson, co-founder GlassDharma

    ReplyDelete