Sunday, February 26, 2012

1000 Free Glass Straws for Earth Day 2012

They say that nothing is free… but if there is a price for us to live on this Planet together, it is simply to care for this place we all call “Home”. Earth Day 2012 brings this simple truth to the forefront of our activities. The celebrations keep us mindful of how our choices affect our environment. Each Earth Day marks another year that we move closer toward environmental awareness, making better choices and achieving advancement in our collective efforts toward Planet Care.


Each year, GlassDharma marks this occasion by giving away free Glass Straws!What better way to “teach” the idea of “re-use” than to give an everyday, commonly used item to someone who never thought about their habits of “throwing away” drinking straws after each use.“There are still many people out there who do not realize how many reusable choices there are.It is now easier than ever to replace throw away items with quality reusable products”, remarks Cheryl Newcomb - GlassDharma Public Relations.“Our Company is bound and determined to give away as many as 1000 glass straws! This will be our fourth Earth Day giveaway. We are choosing to invest in the important message of our straws – We have the choice to re-use.”

See our press release here. 

Please share this blog with your friends and neighbors to help GlassDharma reach the 1000 free glass straw goal for 2012! This year’s theme for the Earth Day free glass straw giveaway is based on the words heard most by our staff, “I love my glass straws”.(Often its: “I love, love, love my glass straws!!”)

Entrants - please include:
1. 100 to 200 word essay in an attached document (or) a link to a 1 to 3 minute YouTube Video
2. Your name, email address and mailing address. (In the body of your email)
3. Email your request for a free glass straw to: EarthDay@GlassDharma.com
4. One entry per person (If multiple people are using the same email address, please note in the body of the email.

Participants who have yet to own a glass straw might use the alternate theme, “I love glass straws because…”

Glass Straws and how they relate to a better world is the suggested inspiration point of submissions for this contest. Content ideas might include, Beauty, Joy, Taste & Planet Care (Environmental).Creativity is encouraged as you write or shoot your video!

Video and Essay submission instructions – simply include the link to your “YouTube Video” or attach your essay to your email (Word format (.doc) or basic text (.txt) format please)

Electronic (email) submissions are preferred to snail mail as an optimum eco-choice. All entries must be received by Earth Day, April 22. We will begin shipping the straws after April 1st and the 2 grand prize winners will be posted (and contacted) by May 5th.

The first 1000 essay/video contest entries received by the Earth Day deadline will receive a free Glass Straw from GlassDharma!Please note that GlassDharma will pay shipping charges for each free glass straw up to $3.00 (free shipping for USA deliveries)

A judging panel consisting of three passionate Environmental Bloggers and three members of the GlassDharma staff is ready to select 10 finalists, five for the video category, and five for the essay category.One Grand Prize Winner for each category will be selected by popular vote amongst the judges.Grand Prize Winners will receive a $100.00 electronic GlassDharma Gift Code by email.

Happy Earth Day 2012!

From all of us at GlassDharma, manufacturer of the “Original Glass Straw”

sip the world. taste the difference.

By participating in this contest, you agree that all essays and/or videos sent may be published on the GlassDharma website as well as affiliated social networking sites.

36 comments:

  1. Very cool, entry submitted.

    ra

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE my glass straws. I entered already. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited I sent my essay and now I am busy spreading the word...more glass less waste :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything tastes better from a Glass Dharma Straw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really? An Essay or Video? I am a mom wanting to rid of plastics in my home & would love to try one, but simply don't have the time for a 100-200 word essay or video! Seems like a whole lotta work for a $10 straw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just wrote 47 words complaining, when you could have put those words towards something positive, like a free glass straw. Go ahead and spend the $10.

      Delete
    2. I have 2 small children as well. I did the short essay when they went to sleep. To me it is well worth a little thought on what we can do for the Earth and each other for that matter!! Please, put forth the effort and you will be happy you did!! Not trying to tell you what to do, but their straws are awesome!!

      Delete
  6. OMG - I just got an email that you shipped a straw out to me! I'm so excited!!! Thank you so very much. Now I'm going to be haunting the mailbox every day until it arrives. Happy Earth Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, it is true that this contest leans toward those with a gift of pen (or camera), and we know how busy life is for many (especially Moms!).
    The entry was designed to be thought provoking and a way to share thoughts from people who are in different stages of their own eco journeys. The busy Mom's comment is 45 words, so for a bit more twice the effort, she would have already qualified as a 100 word essay.
    We hope you can have fun with this project, it was not intended for it to be a chore. And we do want to give you a glass straw for Earth Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very cool.....Love the Straws! Is the "contest" still ongoing?? Thanks for making the Earth a much better place with your Straws!
    Peace and smiles...
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found out my straw is on its way...thanks so much! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how long ago did you enter? i sent my essay in over a week ago and no message:( just curious. thanks!

      Delete
  10. Depending on the amount of submissions each day, an entry might take more than a week to process. Please check your sent email folders and be sure that you included:
    1. your essay (or) video submission
    2. your full shipping address
    Some people forget one or the other and we cannot process nor answer all of the incomplete entries. Please comment once you get your free straw in the mail, and how long it took from the date of your email submission, it will help others that are wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello David,

    Thank you so much for the Earth Day GlassDharma Glass Straw! I submitted my entry March 23rd and received my glass straw this Saturday April 14th. The glass straw is amazing and beautiful! I had a very happy green smoothie filled day thanks to GlassDharma! Plus I made a few family members very jealous ;)

    Peace, Love and here's to Drinking Green Smoothies with a GlassDharma Glass Straw!

    ~*Tracy*~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sent my essay entry on 4/11...hope I win! I'd love to try a glass straw...the idea is very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. David, are you sending emails to everyone before shipping the straw? I re-submitted my entry a few times because I didn't get an email message saying that one was shipped. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our Shipping Department does email a confirmation once your free straw is shipped out of our facility. The free straws that have been shipped are in a random order, not in keeping with when the entries are placed. Rest assured that we aim to have every free glass straw shipped by April 30th at the latest!

      Delete
  14. I broke my straw last night and when I saw the free straw offer, I sent in a letter. Hope a straw is left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we still have free straws to send out :) Please note: our Lifetime Guarantee Against Breakage on our website.

      Delete
  15. My husband and I just got our glass straws! Yay! They are beautiful and I'm sipping on mine right now. My spirulina, banana, romaine lettuce, thai coconut, cinnamon smoothie has never tasted so good:) I'm going to be using my glass straw all the time. Thanks so much and Happy Earth Day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you very much for the free straw! It is as lovely as I imagined. I can't wait to have my morning smoothie. (I submitted on 3/28 and received it today 4/18.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just entered.. HOPE I made the cutoff!!! MADE in USA.. YEAH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. awwww...i missed it. drat. well, i still want to buy a glass straw.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So, did you pick the winners yet?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will announce the winner on Monday May 7th. Our judges are completing their selections.

      Delete
  20. So I completely forgot about this & missed the deadline. I'm hoping by some off chance that you all may still have a straw or 2 left that you're willing to send out to a passionate, green, essay-writing, glass straw-using, sassy sipper. ;O)
    What are the chances?
    -Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz - you might submit an email request along with your essay and shipping address to earthday@glassdharma.com

      Delete
  21. We have a winner for the the Essay portion of our Earth Day 2012 Contest -
    The Grand Prize Winner -
    Annette Puskarich

    Hey!
    I like green juice and fruit.
    I do! It gives me energy, to boot!
    I would gulp it down ‘n all,
    Because I have no beautiful glass straw!
    A glass straw will help my juice taste great.
    And leave no plastic pollution in its wake!
    It’s a little something I can do.
    Because every action matters, it’s true!

    The straws are made with love and intent.
    You can even get them a little bent!
    They come with dots, they come with colors.
    They are good for kids, fathers and mothers!

    The straws are both strong and glassy.
    They will make you feel sassy and classy!
    If you drink, a Glass Dharma straw’s for you.
    Saving the planet is good juju!
    A little something you can do every day.
    Make you feel good and become your new way!

    Annette will receive a $100.00 Gift Code by email tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cute Annette, I love your poem! Congratulations on the win.

      Delete
  22. ... and the Grand Prize Winner of the Video portion of our Free Straw Giveway for Earth Day 2012 contest is... (drum roll) ...
    Kelley Sellers - Canada
    Kelley will receive a $100.00 Gift Code by email tomorrow! Congrats Kelley & especially to the *Star* of your video!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37JziuxujPM&feature=youtu.be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In addition to our two Grand Prize Winners, we have selected eight Honorable Mention Entries!
      - each of these eight will receive a glass straw, hemp sleeve and cleaning brush. They will be notified tomorrow! And all of the entrants have been shipped their Free Glass Straw for Earth Day 2012 :)

      Thank you to all of the participants - it was a tough decision to selelct the winners - We will be posting excerpts from many of the submissions in the days and weeks to come. Happy Earth Day!

      Delete
  23. Are all the free straws gone out already? I submitted an email already and haven't heard anything back yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Earth Day was in April. I *think* you missed it.
      I did too. Maybe next year.

      Delete